Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Take my wife... Please!

My wife blogged about her incorrect perception of our first date earlier this week.  In her blog, she committed libel by publishing incorrect information about how things actually are, in contrast to her own skewed, and wrong opinion.  If what she says is true, then I would have kissed her on our first date, but I surely would never commit such an act.  
She tried to sway her audience by talking on, and on, and on...(you think her blog is bad, you should live with her!) about how our date to Beowulf was actually a date, and how it differed from our date to the TCU game.  You will notice that I refer to our date to Beowulf as "our date" because it was in fact a date; but our date to the TCU game was also a date.  
To prove this I will examine the felicity conditions of a date, that is what makes a date a date? My simple answer and definition would be this: a social appointment, engagement, or occasion arranged beforehand with another person.  A date usually has the connotation (particularly in our culture, and in this valley) of courtship.  And the third pillar of what makes a date a date, is there should be an activity.  Planning to hang out ahead of time on a couch watching TV meets two of the three requirements, but does not meet all three and is therefore, not a date.  
  Some, my wife included, would argue that one (usually the male) must pay for the other for it to be a date.  She even argues that I did not pay for her to get in, therefore it could not have been a date.  To that I say phooey.  I did not pay for her to get in, because I did not know her when she bought her all sports pass, and therefore am justified in not paying for the ticket to the TCU game.  In addition to that, I have long argued that while I did not pay the price of her admission, I did pay for a hot chocolate.  She admits this was a nice thing to do, and to that I say "you're friggin' welcome!"
In the history of dating, roommates have always been a thorn in every bachelor's side.  Shortly after the wheel was invented, the the third wheel was sure to follow.  While having a third wheel along for the ride can make for some awkward situations, the third wheel being there does not void a date's status.  

Because the TCU game fulfills all of the felicity conditions of what I, and the rest of the world consider to be a date, it is therefore a date.  

This chart shows how 100 people questioned about this date responded.




I have a theory as to why Alyssa refuses to admit she is wrong.  When on a date, one must chew gum while juggling chainsaws, and singing God Save the Queen..... in a manner of speaking.  You have to do a lot of things at the same time.  Listen to them talk, respond thoughtfully, look them in the eye, keep from farting, don't check out any other girls, don't text anyone, all while trying to look your best, smell your best and act your best to impress.  It can be quite intimidating.  Alyssa, dropped the ball.  She was a horrible date.  She gave her number to another guy, talked for about 20 minutes to a guy that was obviously interested in her that wasn't me, and played the "guess which candy-bar I'm thinking of as I caress your leg" with Kelson.  I think that she feels so horrible for being on such bad behavior on our first date that she has created this story that our first date was one where she was better behaved.

Better behaved? She still put out on what she thought was her first date.

I'm okay with that though.  

5 comments:

Cass said...

I dunno, Lewis... can it really be a date if the other person doesn't know about it? It's like on the Office, when Dwight married Angela without her knowing about it. It didn't count then, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't count now. But I admire your tenacity.

willus said...

I'm glad you brought up Dwight and Angela's wedding. Angela did not know she was being married to Dwight, while Dwight did know. For a marriage to be legitimate, both parties must agree to it... Angela didn't know about it, so it was eligible for an annulment. Even though she filed for, and was granted an annulment, the wedding still took place. The marriage may have been a farce, but it still occurred.

Just like our date

Alyssa may have not thought it was a date, may not have known it was a date, but the fact of the matter is there are things that happened, such as a purchase of a hot chocolate, and her keys being placed in my pocket, that indicate that it was a date.

But she's too embarrassed to admit she's wrong.

Alyssa said...

But I'm not wrong. You just don't want a failed attempt at a date on your record. You're too prideful.

The Dally Llama said...

Bad analogy to the Dwight-Angela "marriage." Marriage is a contract, which means that both parties have to consent. That can't happen if one person doesn't know what's going on. No mutual consent to the privileges and obligations that come with marriage, and you don't have a marriage.

A date is not a contract. Neither party in a date has any obligation to the other, as evidenced by how girls bail on dudes with total impunity so often. So the analogy doesn't hold water.

But that doesn't address whether the TCU game was a date. To that question, I answer: I don't care.

Jean-Michel said...

I guess i'm like 7 months too late to comment anything here, but I just want to point out that at the end of the first paragraph, Lewis says that we would never kiss a girl on a first date ... Well I have never known Lewis outside of the mission field but one thing I know is that there was some kissing competition on a ski chairlift that you took part of ... if you can do that, you can definitely kiss a girl on a first date! But from reading both blog post, it does seem like that TCU game was a date.

p.s. I love the survey chart ... way convinving ... 555