Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Stories

So some of my friends like to poke fun of the fact that I can’t tell a story. They say I tell long boring stories that never get anywhere, and never have a point.

Every time they point that out, it reminds me of this guy I met on my mission…

Well I was serving in my second area, I had been out 6-7 months and I was serving in Pitsanulok. Pitsanulok was a fun town on a river. The river was great, there were people that lived on boats that doubled as houses. But it made for a lot of bridges in this city, and that wasn’t fun to bike over…

Especially…

When my bike didn’t come in from my first area for several weeks. See at the beginning of my mission we used a mailing system similar to UPS for mailing bikes. They weren’t very fast for mailing bikes. So I had to use the loaner bike for the first few weeks I was there. It was a little kid’s ten speed. I crashed it and almost died… the bike belonged to a great member family…

Which reminds me…

One time they took us out to a waterfall on P-day, and they also took us out to the Hmong village outside of the city. It was awesome, up in these hills away from everything. It was great to get away from the city…

Anyway…

The guy this whole blog is about lived by the bus station. It was funny how much of these cities outside of Bangkok were ruled by either a bus station, or a train station. Sometimes both. If the railroad went through a city, then the bus station was usually within walking distance of the train station. And that makes sense. Around the trains stations lots of businesses would thrive. 7-11s, CD stores, electronics stores, and even guitar stores were always centered around the bus station. I wonder if the businesses were there first or if the bus station was there first. I guess its like a chicken and an egg type thing.

And…

Eggs are another thing. I was in that city when the bird flue really took Thailand in 2004. Nobody ate chicken, or eggs for a few months. That was really sad, because Khaw Man Kai, was one of my favorite Thai dishes for breakfast. That was just chicken on top of a chicken-broth rice.

Anyway, this whole story was about this guy that wasn’t very good at telling stories. He couldn’t get to the point, and went off on tangents.

I don’t think I’m at all like him.

4 comments:

lucás said...

I read the whole thing just to find out that it really was just another mission story, kept hoping it would turn into something less spiritual. Oh well, guess it did me some good.

Marc said...

Sorry I skipped most of that, was that just a story about stories? You've taken this to the next level.

Jessica & Royce said...

So pretty much I was thinking to my self... self you should start a blog and get people to read it, and then put advertisements on it and make a lot of money because people will really want to read your blog. So I thought I should go out and read some blogs to get some ideas. So naturally the first one I came to was this great one called Lew's Line and I came back down to earth. What was I thinking. I can't blog. Blogging is for peole with great big imaginations, know big words and lots of useless information. Who tell really long stories because they can. Nope not for me. I just sit in my cubicle and look at 1's and 0's. Kind of like the matrix. Red head, Blond, Plastic ...... Anyways. I loved the story. I am totally adding you to my blog. Love you man.

Jean-Michel said...

Dude ... I just found your blog and you reminded me of that amazing beater bike you had for a few days .... soooo hilarious ....

Miss you man!

By the way ... I hope i'm not the one who can't tell stories?